After speaking with my new surgical oncologist, Dr. Maryam Elmi, I feel pretty good. I mean, I do have cancer, but she says it's curable, so I’m leading with that!
I have triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer (we’ll call it TNBC for short). At a half inch in size, it's considered Stage One (Yay! Caught early!), but it can be a very aggressive type of cancer. Aggressive meaning fast growing and treatment resistant.
I had blood drawn for genetic testing that will come back in 10 days.
Next step is an MRI, which was scheduled on a day I can’t go, so I will call to reschedule tomorrow. The MRI will determine if this is one small area or if there are more microscopic cells floating around. Sometimes after the MRI, there may be additional biopsies or imaging needed.
Then, we decide next steps. They will include surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. The MRI will determine what order that will happen in.
The ultrasound showed the lymph nodes were clear, so that’s good news. They could still find something during surgery, but it’s a good place to start.
It was a lot to take in, but I feel very confident about my prognosis.
Small miracles; we’ll take them. So happy for the good news in what, I know, is a scary situation. Love you TONS❤️
ReplyDeleteThere is a lot of good news there and I’m glad they’re being proactive about next steps. What stood out most is that it’s curable! The Rack Team is all here for you!
ReplyDeleteStage 1- that is good! Early detection, especially when they are saying it can be aggressive, seems like the best possible place to start. Thank you for going annually for your appointments. You are proving how I important that is. Praying all continues smoothly with your appointments so you can get the next plan in place. Love you. Michele
ReplyDeleteThis is good to have experienced people helping, guiding, and supporting you. I’m here for whatever you need.
ReplyDelete