Saturday, December 21

Mexico

Many of you reading this don’t know that I went to Mexico for the 10th anniversary of Mom’s death in October. I went to a small beach resort south of Cancun. I’ve struggled with the anniversary a lot these past few years and I wasn’t sure how I would handle the big 10.

I went by myself and spent six nights enjoying the beach and a cabana and starting my day with mimosas. It was healing.

I remember the exact moment in the water. When I felt it. When I felt my heart heal. When I knew the grief inside me changed. I remember thinking how great it would be if everyone could find their place and feel what I felt in that moment.

Little did I know then, I already had breast cancer that would be found in just a few weeks.

I see now the blessing of that healing to make room in my life for this.

I had a moment on the table yesterday while I was getting my facial. I’ve been waiting for this. Now it’s here and I can fix it and move on with my life.

My half-sister Karen had breast cancer in her late 40s, with a recurrence in her late 70s. Mom in her 80s. So, I’ve always felt it was coming for me. It was just a matter of when.

Now it’s here. And I can fix it. And move on with my life.

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Sooz! What a great way to take care of yourself. Super to be aware of the change in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courageous travel. Literal soul searching. Probably a handful of metaphors we could conjure. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you were finally able to exhale. So many people never learn/get to feel that release and it’s so healing. As for breast cancer, it is here. You will fix it and you will move on with life. There are so many people that are surrounding and supporting you all the way through.-A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your a strong women!

    ReplyDelete