Monday, January 6

New York, New York

Our trip was everything you would expect from a whirlwind trip to New York City. What will I remember? Seeing the sites, the freezing temps, the great food, seeing Suffs, the Today Show and all the laughter.

Did I think about cancer every moment of every day? No. But I thought about it a lot. I felt my energy run down through the day. Sometimes I rallied, sometimes I didn’t. Thursday was hard because I kept thinking, “One week. One week. One week.” 

I teared up sometimes, but I think I hid it well. Got a little cranky sometimes, but thankfully I have good friends who like me anyway.

My Uncle Richard died last week, so no one in my family besides my niece Stacy knows what’s happening. He’d been ill for a long time and I don’t think he wanted to see the New Year, so he didn’t. I’m not posting anything on other social media because the family follows and that’s not how I want Aunt Patsy to find out.

It’s always weird coming home to an empty house. I miss my dogs. The coming week(s) will be hard as I have to keep them off my rack (see what I did there?) while I heal.

I got a text from HEB earlier saying I had prescriptions ready. I was confused until I was opening the app. Oh, for Thursday. Gabapentin (pain), Cephalexin (antibiotic) and Ondansetron (nausea). 

I’ve taken two vacation days and FMLA starts Wednesday. I just couldn’t see myself going into the office trying to “act natural” or think. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you had this trip to NYC, Susan! Also though, I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle. Sending you hugs and lots of love. I'm lifting you up in prayer for surgery and all the recovery.
    Love, Michele

    ReplyDelete